Contact Us

Trained community volunteers and volunteer lawyers generously donate their time to provide VLP services. We do not have staff lawyers who represent clients. We are limited in the services we can provide by the availability of volunteers.

To get legal help, you must first complete an intake interview with a trained VLP volunteer to determine if VLP is the right organization to help you.

You will be asked questions about your legal problem, your household and your income. To set up an interview you may:  

CALL:   1-800-442-4293 or if in Portland 774-4348 

This Statewide Hotline is open for new client interviews at the following times:

Monday, 9:00-11:30 am   Family Law Only

Tuesday, 1:00-3:30 pm    General areas of civil law (but no family law)

Wednesday, 9-11:30 am   Family Law Only

Thursday, 1:00-3:30 pm   General areas of civil law (but no family law)

Friday, 9:00-11:30 am      Family Law Only

Please note that the above schedule is for new client telephone interviews only. Please have all materials such as court notices or documents with you when you call.

Because many VLP callers are victims of domestic violence and we are concerned about their safety, we will not leave a message on an answering machine or with a person at your phone number and we will not write to you unless you give us specific permission to do so.

We will need to conduct an intake interview over the phone and will call you at the telephone number you provide. VLP staff decide the best level of service for each client base on their legal problem and available resources.  

If you are unable to reach us or do not qualify for VLP services, HelpMELaw provides information about legal issues in Maine. You may also contact your local librarian for assistance in finding the online resources.

If you want face-to-face help from one of our Courthouse Assistance Projects (CHAPs)-in Augusta, Biddeford, Lewiston or Portland- go here for schedule and more information. This courthouse-based help is only for family law matters, such as divorce and parental rights cases. 


Submit comments about our website here.  We cannot give legal advice via e-mail. So please call us if you need help with a legal problem.  

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.